All visitors to Egypt need to obtain a visa to enter the country unless they are from a visa-exempt country. There are different types of entry visa to Egypt: the visa on arrival, and the Egypt e-Visa.
The Egypt visa on arrival has been available for a long time. It is possible to obtain one at the Egyptian border. Eligible citizens queue, apply for, process, and pay for the visa on arrival.
The alternative is the Egypt e-Visa which was introduced in November 2017. It allows travellers to apply for an entry visa to Egypt online in just a few minutes. On arrival, the traveller presents the e-Visa at the Egyptian border control, along with their passport. unfortunately Nigeria is not eligible for the Evisa list
The Government of Egypt implemented the electronic Egypt visitor visa to increase security and also to improve and quicken the process of admitting tourists.
Though both visas allow visitors to enter Egypt, there are some key differences between the two forms of travel authorization of which travellers to Egypt should be aware.
Can I get a visa on arrival in Egypt?
Travellers can obtain an Egyptian tourist visa on arrival at immigration kiosks at any of the airport terminals.( In our case as Nigerians we must first apply and get approval signal before leaving )
At arrival in Cairo
- Wait in line at the visa on arrival window
- Fill out the visa application form and provide documents ( The approval letter)
- Pay the visa on arrival fee in cash $25 for the sticker
- The Egypt visa sticker will be fixed to the passport
The visa on arrival must be paid for in U.S. dollars. Card payment is not accepted. Travellers should aim to have the exact amount ready to pay for the Egypt visa.
With an Egyptian visa on arrival, visitors can stay in the country for up to 30 days. It is a single-entry permit.
Where can you get an Egypt visa on arrival?
You can apply for an Egyptian visa on arrival at border control when arriving in Egypt.
International checkpoints where you can get a visa on arrival for Egypt:
- Cairo International Airport, Cairo
- Hurghada International Airport, Hurghada
- St Catherine International Airport, St Catherina
- Borg El Arab International Airport, Alexandria
- Sharm El Sheikh International Airport
- Luxor Airport International Airport
Difference between Egypt e-Visa and Visa On Arrival
The main difference between the tourist visa on arrival and the electronic visa is that e-Visa applicants obtain the permit online, in advance. Travellers who opt for the visa on arrival wait until they arrive in Egypt to affix the sticker on the passport
Both the eVisa and the visa on arrival allow the holder to stay in Egypt for up to 30 days. Single and multiple-entry online visas are available. Only single-entry visas are issued on arrival.
- A passport with 6 months remaining from the date of entry
- Passport photo
- An up-to-date email address to receive the approval signal